Sunday, December 9, 2012

How to : From Jeans to Shorts (DIY)

So I have cut up a few of my clothes before and I had been eyeing on this pair of jeans for quite some time now. They used to be my favorite pair, cos back then it was hard to find this faded light blue color with dark stitching in the right size and when I finally got it I wore it endlessly.

I guess that's why they became loose eventually. Not just baggy loose, they look like they've aged, ALOT. Look at those wrinkles! But I still love the color and how the stitches match them, so I've decided they would make a good pair of shorts! Although they're still kinda loose that I don't even have to unbutton it to take them off..

So here's how I cut my jeans up into shorts, pretty easy. More like impulsive tailoring.
Just a guide, you can use any method you think suits you best. I don't even know what's the PROPER method.


Step 1 : Decide the length you want



Step 2 : Take a pair of shorts you normally wear (which you think the length is best) and place it over the jeans, then use a Sharpie (or any marker) to draw a guideline on it. Just be brave and draw on it cos there's no turning back after that.

*Be sure to check the location of the inner pockets and the back pockets before doing anything. You wouldn't wanna cut off the back pockets. Or leave your pockets hanging out from underneath, unless it's on purpose like I've seen some people wearing it that way)

Step 3 : Cut above the marker line. 

And that's one leg down! 
Step 4 : Adjust or cut off jagged parts of it, then wear it if you want to. Just to see how it looks like/ whether you like the length.

I had some problem with the ends on the first try. It was slanting slightly and the front and back weren't tallying.
Step 5 : Fold up the part which you think needs more cutting, take it off, and trim it.

Done! Now the other leg. 
Step 6 : Just fold the jeans in half and cut exactly along the line. Using the marker line on the other side as a guide too.

Voila! New pair of shorts. 
You can fold the ends up and sew it neatly. I'm just pure lazy so I only did some minor distressing at the ends. Didn't wanna ruin the smooth part of it.

Step 7 : Open up the scissors and use one side of the blade to "scrape" on the ends of the shorts. To get a better effect, do it perpendicularly.

Step 8 : Open up the threads by pulling/ tugging on the ends. The stronger you tug the nicer the threads come out.

Remember to do the back!


Voila! My new favourite pair of shorts! 

No comments: